Botanic Park

Right next to the Adelaide Botanic Garden is the glorious Botanic Park, a 34-hectare, green oasis a short walk from the Adelaide CBD.

Adelaide Botanic Garden purchased the land for the park in 1866. From 1890 onwards, lively public debate was to be had at Speaker's Corner on a Sunday. This gave Botanic Park a reputation as Adelaide's version of Hyde Park, the celebrated locale for free speech in London.

Botanic Park is flanked on the Botanic Garden side by a stately avenue of plane trees planted in 1874, and on the northern side by the River Torrens and the Adelaide Zoo. Many a lazy afternoon has been wiled away, staring up into the canopy of the century-old Moreton Bay Fig trees, with their huge trunks and gnarled buttress roots.

Not just a popular venue for picnics, Botanic Park is also an outstanding venue for major events including WOMADelaide and Moonlight Cinema.

Guided walks

Free guided tours, taking in the history and significant plantings of the Park, take place every Monday at 2pm, departing from the Friends Gate, Plane Tree Drive (in front of North Lodge).

For more information or to organise special interest or private walks visit the Friends of the Botanic Gardens website.

Maps

 

Public Safety reminder: Visitors to Botanic Park are being reminded not to handle bats and be mindful especially around Speakers' Corner. 

During high temperatures, heat-stressed bats and pups can fall to the ground. Contact with a bat can be very dangerous and the animals must only be handled by appropriately trained and vaccinated bat handlers. 

If you come across a bat that appears to be dead, injured or in distress, contact Fauna Rescue’s 24-hour bat phone: 0475 132 093.

Find out more about the bats - which are actually Grey-headed flying foxes.

 

  • The Salvation Army in Botanic Park

    There is a rich history between the Botanic Gardens of South Australia and The Salvation Army. It was in Botanic Park that The Salvation Army held its first open-air meeting on Australian soil on 5th September 1880. To commemorate this event and the significant contribution made by The Salvation Army, the Botanic Gardens of South Australia planted an avenue of trees on the northern side of Botanic Park (on Botanic Drive). Read more